Notice of the Board of Review
City of Black River Falls
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Board of Review for the City of Black River Falls will meet on May 11, 2022 from 9:00 A.M. to at least 11:00 A.M. at City Hall, 101 S. 2nd Street, Black River Falls, WI.
Please be advised of the following requirements to appear before the Board of Review:
- No person shall be allowed to appear before the Board of Review, to testify to the Board by telephone or to contest the amount of any assessment of real or personal property if the person has refused a reasonable written request by certified mail of the assessor to view such property.
- After the first meeting of the Board of Review and before the Board’s final adjournment, no person who is scheduled to appear before the Board of Review may contact, or provide information to, a member of the Board about the person’s objection except at a session of the Board.
- No person may appear before the Board of Review, testify to the Board by telephone or contest the amount of any assessment unless, at least 48 hours before the first meeting of the Board or at least 48 hours before the objection is heard if the objection is allowed under sub. (3) (a), that person provides to the clerk of the Board of Review notice as to whether the person will ask for removal under sub. (6m) and if so which member will be removed and the person’s reasonable estimate of the length of time that the hearing will take.
- When appearing before the Board, the person shall specify, in writing, the person’s estimate of the value of the land and of the improvements that are subject of the person’s objection and specify the information that the person used to arrive at that estimate.
- No person may appear before the Board of Review, testify to the Board by telephone or object to a valuation if that valuation was made by the assessor or the objector using the income method, unless the person supplies to the assessor all of the information about income and expenses, as specified in the Assessor’s manual under s. 73.03 (2a) of Wis. Statutes, that the assessor requests. The City of Black River Falls has an ordinance for the confidentiality of information about income and expenses that is provided to the assessor under this paragraph and shall provide exceptions for persons using the information in the discharge of duties imposed by law or of the duties of their office or by order of a court. The information that is provided under this paragraph, unless a court determines that it is inaccurate, is not subject to the right of inspection and copying under s. 19.35 (1).
NOTICE IS FURTHER GIVEN that pursuant to s. 70.45, Wis. Stats., the assessment roll for the 2022 assessment year will be open for examination starting May 4, 2022. Due to COVID, OPEN BOOK sessions for informal talks with the City Assessor and to file written objections will be conducted by phone. If you would like to set up a phone appointment, please contact Bowmar Appraisal, Inc. at (715) 835-1141 during regular business hours (M-F, 8:30-4:30) no later than 3 days prior to the Board of Review. The 2021 assessment roll, instructional information, and objection forms will be made available. These documents will assist with scheduling a hearing before the Board of Review. Keep in mind that objection forms must be filed with the clerk of the Board of Review at least 48 hours before the Board of Review is conducted unless the Board of Review chooses to waive this requirement.
Alex B. Chown, City Clerk – City of Black River Falls
This Notice is hereby posted at the following locations in the City on the 12th day of April 2022:
- Front Door – City Hall
- Black River Falls Public Library
- Jackson County Court House
- S. Post Office
- City of Black River Falls website: blackriverfallswi.gov